As I mentioned in class, Francis Su's book "Mathematics for Human Flourishing" has reshaped my view of word problems, which often feel disconnected from real-world applications. Su’s idea of calling them "world problems" resonates with me, emphasizing the need to make them more relevant and practical. However, I was surprised by Susan Gerofsky’s "A Man Left Albuquerque Heading East", where she suggests that this disconnect might trace back to Babylonian mathematics! It made me wonder: has math education always been this way, or is it only in modern times that we’ve placed such a strong emphasis on real-life applications? Are we critiquing word problems through a contemporary, pragmatic lens, even though they’ve been integral to math instruction for thousands of years?
Gerofsky (2004) references the Danish Assyriologist Jens Høyrup, who suggests that the Babylonians “had no other discourse available other than that of practical problems to express abstract mathematical ideas.” This is fascinating because I had never thought of word problems as a medium for expressing abstract math concepts. It’s similar to describing a real-world scenario today, then using math to model and solve it. In a way, word problems solve the challenge of not having precise measures or tools, serving as a bridge to understanding abstract ideas.
I also found these questions thought-provoking: "Are word problems used primarily to train students in the use of methods without necessarily providing an understanding of those methods? Are problems chosen simply to illustrate the "methods at hand"?" (Gerofsky, 2004) The focus on “method” here is key. If the goal of word problems is to understand the use of methods, then I’ve definitely gained a lot from them.
A very interesting commentary, with a sense that this is an ongoing topic for thought!
ReplyDelete