Wednesday, September 25, 2024

How would(n't) I use word problem in my own teaching?

The class discussion on Monday challenged my initial thoughts about the need for applicability in word problems. Initially, I believed that prioritizing real-world relevance meant using problems drawn from current events, up-to-date statistics, and relatable daily challenges. However, the discussion shifted my perspective. Word problems can instead focus on using mathematical tools for modeling, recognizing the patterns and beauty within math, contextualizing formulas, and humanizing math as a discipline. After all, problems in real life often appear as narratives, not simply as equations to "solve for x." This realization has made it clear to me that abandoning word problems altogether is not an option. The real challenge is in how I approach them.

Take, for example, teaching the Pythagorean theorem. A word problem could involve a carpenter needing to cut a right-triangular tile to fit an exact missing piece—or it could be a playful, imaginative story with the same core concept. It could ask students to validate the theorem by testing it with other triangles or exploring whether it holds true with different shapes. Students could also put themselves in Pythagoras' shoes, exploring the patterns as he did to understand his reasoning and how he developed the theorem. Additionally, they could be challenged to apply the theorem creatively, perhaps by designing a birdhouse, art project, or game. They could even create their own word problems and challenge their peers. In other words, my definition of word problems has expanded to encompass a variety of approaches, from incorporating humor and storytelling to fostering creativity and hands-on application. This broader view would hopefully enhance student engagement and their overall attitude toward math and word problems.


1 comment:

  1. I like your thoughts about using good stories that are playful and imaginative, and to the combination of designing and making with mathematical patterning at the fore. I'm interested to see how you will bring these into your classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

This has been my favorite course out of the nine I’m taking this term, largely because of the inspiring classroom community and the wealth o...